Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Joining to sell - is it really such a bad thing ?

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum

Is joining to sell really such a bad thing ? (Poll)

Yes - we're a car forum - this isn't eBay or Autotrader & you should take part to benefit from membership
21%
No - we're a car forum - having more people/cars on here is absolutely what it's all about
58%
Seriously, do we even need to discuss this ?
21%

Total votes: 66

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Joining to sell - is it really such a bad thing ?

Post by Adamski » Sat May 31, 2014 1:42 pm

I don't really care :driving:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Sat May 31, 2014 4:08 pm

Well I sort of started all this, me and my big mouth, you think I would learn at 72 years of age :lol:

It was just a comment I was making that people seem to join just to sell “their car” without even contributing. However we all know are zeds and we continue to see these sort of people signing up just to flog their prized possessions. The calibre of some of the adverts leaves me speechless, they are poorly written with a lack of any decent content to tempt a potential buyer, service history omitted along with where the car is located and above all no photos of the car, or if they do include some it might have been better if they hadn’t if you know what I mean.

I am sure we all do it, we add the usually comments like nice motor, GLWTS when really if we are honest we are thinking to ourselves, SERIOUSLY do they really want to sell this car.
Then we get the people that join and who have been loitering in the shadows and just never got around to joining. You can immediately tell from the standard and content of their adverts that this person knows their onions shall we say. Good quality photos and a well written advert detaining everything that a buyer might ask. That sort of advert would seriously get my attention if I was in the market to buy.

I have no problems with people just joining, we all have a choice, we can choose to ignore the bad adverts, just like we do with the fitted kitchen adverts and then grab ourselves a half decent zed from the good adverts :D

I was just making a comment :roll:

Happy days :driving:
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat May 31, 2014 5:13 pm

BrianD, I honestly wasn't having a pop at you, I took it away from that thread to separate it as the topic does come up quite often and it seemed inappropriate to start a debate there... It just so happened that was the one that prompted the stream of consciousness that followed. I agree with everything you say by the way - maybe I should have titled the thread 'Quality of for sale ads by newbies' :oops: :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Sat May 31, 2014 5:20 pm

Bing wrote:BrianD, I honestly wasn't having a pop at you, I took it away from that thread to separate it as the topic does come up quite often and it seemed inappropriate to start a debate there... It just so happened that was the one that prompted the stream of consciousness that followed. I agree with everything you say by the way - maybe I should have titled the thread 'Quality of for sale ads by newbies' :oops: :D
No offence taken Bing :)
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

gedo

Post by gedo » Sat May 31, 2014 5:20 pm

GP06Roadster wrote:+1 this bit

I think you should have somewhere between 25-50 posts before you can access the for sale threads,
That way genuine members get the benefit of buying or selling on the forum.
Don't agree with this at all. My first few posts (and I'm still a relative newbie) were to enquire about/ultimately buy a car and then buy some parts for it. Don't see why I'd need to have contributed 25-50 posts before being able to do so !

If people want to join to buy/sell, as long at the items are Z4 related, then it's all good...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat May 31, 2014 5:21 pm

BrianD wrote:
Bing wrote:BrianD, I honestly wasn't having a pop at you, I took it away from that thread to separate it as the topic does come up quite often and it seemed inappropriate to start a debate there... It just so happened that was the one that prompted the stream of consciousness that followed. I agree with everything you say by the way - maybe I should have titled the thread 'Quality of for sale ads by newbies' :oops: :D
No offence taken Bing :)
:thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:43 pm

Great for the community. No harm in it at all

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:18 pm

gedo wrote:
GP06Roadster wrote:+1 this bit

I think you should have somewhere between 25-50 posts before you can access the for sale threads,
That way genuine members get the benefit of buying or selling on the forum.
Don't agree with this at all. My first few posts (and I'm still a relative newbie) were to enquire about/ultimately buy a car and then buy some parts for it. Don't see why I'd need to have contributed 25-50 posts before being able to do so !

If people want to join to buy/sell, as long at the items are Z4 related, then it's all good...
Fair point, I'm guessing the starting point for a lot of members would be joining here to assist with their search.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Sat May 31, 2014 10:05 pm

no problem here, i'd see it as a benefit personally.

it's the internet, people can do what they want within reason....even ignore the search function...

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Sat May 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Good to have the discussion. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't bother me.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sat May 31, 2014 11:20 pm

Live and let live I say.
Just call out the dealers when we can and keep fighting those need-a-new-kitchen guys :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Brian, GLWTS can also be read as

good luck with that sh!t

You can generally tell which meaning is intended. It certainly raises a question in my mind.
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

Finisterre

Post by Finisterre » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:02 pm

I think a minimum is pointless. Buds idea of under twenty fives optionally invisible good but it may slow down page loading and is it worth it?

Slagging off crap ads is my favourite, particularly if it is humorously done.
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.