Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

remapping

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
macsbm

remapping

Post by macsbm » Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

Hi all I'm new to the world of mod cons I've recently enquired about having z remapped it's a 2.5 se 54 plate with 80,000 miles I was told it would increase bhp from 194-210 and torque 245- 275 5% increase fuel has anyone had this done and when you hit sport button do you still get a boost after remapp fitted

SonnyA85

remapping

Post by SonnyA85 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 pm

most performance mods are pointless. better off buying a faster car (3 litre).

the 3 litre comes with uprated parts, brakes, cooling, LSD, etc.

all you would be doing is increasing wear and tear on the car as well as minimal gains, the higher the gains the more wear and tear. the car was mapped by BMW as safe. by re-mapping your going against what the experts recommend for that car.

macsbm

remapping

Post by macsbm » Tue May 03, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks sonny no what your saying funds don't run to new motor thought this would be better way but maybe not

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

remapping

Post by craig3.2 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:44 pm

A remap is never going to give too much gain on a naturally aspirated engine, but I had my 3.0 done years ago,and it did add take it form 232bhp to 255 bhp,along with only a k & N filter and remap.
As for the sport button,it did still add something,but not as noticeable a difference after remap,between sport button on and off,as without remap.Worth doing,if only spending around £400 or less to do :D

Only the m's have a limited slip diff as standard,sonny....was never on the 3.0's,unfortunately.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

SO8

remapping

Post by SO8 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:56 am

Remapping a normally aspirated car doesn't add much - as has been mentioned already. I did it to a Golf V6 4motion years ago and it added about 20bhp .... it just made it feel a bit fresher and though it had a few more miles on it - as in a bit looser. I didn't regret it and knew it wouldn't make much. Turbo cars on the other hand ... !

It can 'refresh' your feeling of the car a bit but I would get it done with a rolling road before and after so you can see what it has done - I guess it depends where you are considering doing it.

I have seen (in MB models) a company called Rebellion who rolling road, remap, rolling road after the map and then use Terraclean before rolling roading again. I am dubious re Terraclean but their results on higher mileage cars show a remap and clean out using this product does make a decent difference (as in the remap and then separately the Terraclean). Maybe something like that with a clean out would make it even better ? Depends what you want to spend for small gains.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

remapping

Post by Marlon » Wed May 04, 2016 9:46 am

As Machine Monkey has mentioned on his thread, I'm happy with the remap on my 3.0si. Here is my remap thread with lots of debate as you might imagine:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82745&hilit=results+page+4
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

SonnyA85

remapping

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:03 am

craig3.2 wrote:A remap is never going to give too much gain on a naturally aspirated engine, but I had my 3.0 done years ago,and it did add take it form 232bhp to 255 bhp,along with only a k & N filter and remap.
As for the sport button,it did still add something,but not as noticeable a difference after remap,between sport button on and off,as without remap.Worth doing,if only spending around £400 or less to do :D

Only the m's have a limited slip diff as standard,sonny....was never on the 3.0's,unfortunately.
Arggh your right. Well at least the 3 litres came with the bigger brakes, etc to handle the power.

Are K and N filters worth buying? So much conflicting advice on those. Some say they are worse, some say they are no better than stock, etc.

I also think 23 bhp on a 3.0 litre (if it was actually 10% you never know with marketing these days) means he will get about 15bhp at best on a smaller engine. I don't think it's worth doing for 5-15 bhp extra. Was yours checked on a rolling road after or was it just a plug and play map with no rolling road involved craig?

I'd also never advise doing it on a auto box it's just not worth the potential risks. The only mods worth doing are mainly cosmetic mods. Upgraded internal/external lights. Stubby aerial. New exhaust tips. Relocating the roof motor. New DISA valve. Replace Vanos seals. It's never worth chasing more performance the law of diminishing returns is mighty, plus your insurance increase, etc means it's simply not worth it.

Turbo'ing the car is also money you will never get back and such an expensive job to do properly that you could probably upgrade to an M instead.

Your best option really is to buy a 3 litre.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

remapping

Post by mr.tourette » Wed May 04, 2016 10:27 am

Out of interest why would you not recommend remapping an auto?
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

SonnyA85

remapping

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:36 pm

mr.tourette wrote:Out of interest why would you not recommend remapping an auto?
more power equals more stress on the transmission.

automatic transmissions aren't cheap to fix. it's just not worth it. if you want more power you should have bought the more powerful car that's built to handle it all.

in our manual car i floor it in any gear. in the automatic i only do so in 3rd-5th

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

remapping

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed May 04, 2016 3:41 pm

SonnyA85 wrote:
mr.tourette wrote:Out of interest why would you not recommend remapping an auto?

automatic transmissions aren't cheap to fix. it's just not worth it. if you want more power you should have bought the more powerful car that's built to handle it all.

in our manual car i floor it in any gear. in the automatic i only do so in 3rd-5th
Unfortunately that is a load of nonsense.. The auto boxes used in the Z are easily capable of handling 10-15% more power/torque..

Mike

synthedup

remapping

Post by synthedup » Wed May 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:
SonnyA85 wrote:

Unfortunately that is a load of nonsense.. The auto boxes used in the Z are easily capable of handling 10-15% more power/torque..

Mike
I agree Mike, Load of rubbish mate.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

remapping

Post by mr.tourette » Wed May 04, 2016 4:15 pm

synthedup wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:
SonnyA85 wrote:

Mike
I agree Mike, Load of rubbish mate.

glad it wasn't just me thinking it was a bit of an odd statement
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

remapping

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed May 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Yup..

In fact the ONLY reason I'm not remapping mine, is the £ per BHP return is not worth doing, even on the 3.0L

Mike

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

remapping

Post by craig3.2 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:17 pm

SonnyA85 wrote:
craig3.2 wrote:A remap is never going to give too much gain on a naturally aspirated engine, but I had my 3.0 done years ago,and it did take it from 232bhp to 255 bhp,along with only a k & N filter and remap.

Arggh your right. Well at least the 3 litres came with the bigger brakes, etc to handle the power.

Are K and N filters worth buying? So much conflicting advice on those. Some say they are worse, some say they are no better than stock, etc.

I also think 23 bhp on a 3.0 litre (if it was actually 10% you never know with marketing these days) means he will get about 15bhp at best on a smaller engine. I don't think it's worth doing for 5-15 bhp extra. Was yours checked on a rolling road after or was it just a plug and play map with no rolling road involved craig?

I'd also never advise doing it on a auto box it's just not worth the potential risks. The only mods worth doing are mainly cosmetic mods. Upgraded internal/external lights. Stubby aerial. New exhaust tips. Relocating the roof motor. New DISA valve. Replace Vanos seals. It's never worth chasing more performance the law of diminishing returns is mighty, plus your insurance increase, etc means it's simply not worth it.

Turbo'ing the car is also money you will never get back and such an expensive job to do properly that you could probably upgrade to an M instead.

Your best option really is to buy a 3 litre.
The remap was by a powertune,the car was rolling roaded independently from this,before and after,with the k N filter already ftd by me,and they have as many good reviews as bad(k N filters),so my bhp figures were as accurate as can be.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

EdButler

remapping

Post by EdButler » Wed May 04, 2016 10:48 pm

Please don't bother remapping a stock NA BMW, tuners claims are total rubbish. I've been to many an independent rolling road day with remapped NA cars and the only gains are ever on cars with terrible stock software, major engine mods or 2hp as a result of an RPM up lift. Open air filters like K&N Wil reduce power as they'll be sucking in warm air.

If you look at the plugs and/or an AFR graph, you can see that BMW did a good job and the engine is running at it's best. If you want more, treat it to more oil changes.